Wednesday 23 November 2011

Write a letter to an athlete or sports figure you admire to explain what the Olympic Games mean to you.


I hope my letter finds you in best of health. I have been swimming since I was 8 and I bet you would never find a fan greater than I am of yours. I have been watching you sweep gold medals from 2 Olympics now and honestly you deserved them all. With an athlete of your caliber and capacity, I guess that achievement would’ve been mere a piece of cake!
The Olympics had always catered a special place in the hearts and minds of people since they were started back in the roman times. Nowadays, that place has taken one step further and an Olympic achievement is more like considered an honor in the eyes of people, specifically me. To be able to qualify for The Olympics is somewhat a triumph alone words can’t describe and there you are chucking medals in every other swimming event of Beijing Olympics 2008! When I heard that you got the “Sportsman of the Year” award in 2008, no doubt was there that there had been a more perfect decision.
 I had been an athlete myself and I love sports, with football and swimming being at the top of my priorities. I train myself hard to achieve my dream of representing my college team in the regional sports event, in which I am yet unsuccessful. I know then that what you go through to be the best there is, and it really matters a lot when that stage is of Olympics.
I have always revered Olympics. Since Olympics of 2000, I had hardly missed any event of Olympics and had been regularly watching almost all of them. When I see athletes putting in the best they have to earn their country a medal, nothing motivated me better. In fact, it serves as a source of inspiration and creates an urge in me to represent my country in such a big forum where only the best are there to compete. The Olympics were started by the Greek gods to let the best of athletes be in limelight and their names be written in gold for being such a matter of pride for their respective areas. Now, after thousands of years, that had not changed a bit. Rather an Olympics qualifier or a medal holder holds a very honorable and worthy place in the eyes of people. It is not just about games,  it’s about being the part of a legacy of the best there are, that has been set for thousands of years. And to be just a part of it, priceless!
I had an impression that competing with world class players in Olympics is a matter of extraordinary measures, but seeing you winning all those medals makes it seem so easy! Since I have regularly started to swim, the sport has taken more a form of passion in my eyes. To me, it would be an impossible dream comes true even if I ever qualified for the Olympics. You don’t know what an honorable position you have in my eyes when I see you a part of the legacy and it is all the motivation I need in my dream of being a part of the same legacy. Thanks a lot!
Your DIEHARD fan,
Ali.

3 comments: